Getting your Rifle/Pistol Licence
Getting your Rifle/Pistol Licence-Weapons Act Safety Course
Weapons Act Safety Courses
Category A/B and H 2021 program Reviewed 20/01/2021
This course, 10618NAT, is approved for firearms licensing in Queensland. On completion of this course successful applicants will receive from SSAA State Office, by post, the Statement of Attainment which must accompany the application for a licence.
A person is ineligible to hold a firearms licence if they have been convicted of offences including misuse of drugs, weapons or use of violence. A person is ineligible to hold a weapons licence if they are or have been the subject of a domestic violence order in the past 5 years.
The course comprises 3 sections. The common safety test applies to all categories of firearms. The specific test relates to each category of firearm (AB or H).
Handling and live fire of the appropriate firearms concludes the course. Written tests using both multiple choice and true/false methods apply for each section.
Weapons Act safety courses for category A/B are conducted at the club usually on the second Saturday monthly, (none in December) Start 8.00am sharp. Participants are required to arrive no later than 7.30am. Courses will run until approx 4pm. Category H courses, depending on the number of applicants are programmed as and when required.
Intending participants must supply a Unique Student Identifier (USI) prior to being enrolled on any course. Go to” www.usi.gov.au “ for details.
- SSAA members–$80.00 for the Legislation and first module (A/B or H) and $60.00 for any additional module. (if legislation has not expired)
- SSAA members MUST have current SSAA Membership card or interim membership letter/Email with member number.
- Non SSAA Members—legislation and first module $120.00 and additional module $80.00
- Non members can join SSAA on the day. Cost $93.00 per adult. Family discounts apply.
The Club now has EFTPOS facilities available for Safety Courses
All Attendees must provide current PHOTOGRAPHIC ID prior to commencement.
Under 18 will require Parents/guardians consent, on the day, in person, before starting. Parents/guardians and under 18s both need to present photo ID. Not necessary for patents/guardians to stay for the course, however, parents/guardians MUST be able to be contacted by phone ALL DAY.
Range work will form part of all courses, ENCLOSED FOOTWEAR is mandatory, and high buttoned shirts / blouses are recommended for the handgun course.
Tea, coffee and canned drinks are available on site. Several good quality venues are nearby for lunches. All course materials and personal protection equipment are provided.
Range location is–Unit 7, 11 Hinde Street, Southport.
Please direct enquiries to 0418 721 868, and phone to make bookings.
Unique Student Identifier
As from 1 January 2015 prospective candidates undertaking nationally recognised training, including Weapons Act Safety Courses, are required to be in possession of a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
No USI……………………………….NO SAFETY COURSE
- Apply for the USI at…………….www.usi.gov.au
- Click on the “Create USI” tab and complete the online application.
- IMPORTANT Have the proof of identity available & handy before you start.
- IMPORTANT Print out your Email response from usi.gov.au
- See NOTE below. Supply your USI asap to register.
- Bring a copy of this Email to the safety course.
NOTE SSAA Southport will give you a tentative date for your safety course. However you will need to advise Graham Dempsey directly on 0418 721 868 or by Email, (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your USI before you will be included on the course roll proper. Your inclusion on the course register will be confirmed.