Newsletter October 2018
S.S.A.A. (Southport Branch) Inc. (Q62)
7/11 Hinde Street Southport 0755 913 777
Newsletter October 2018
Welcome to last newsletter for the year.
This year has seen much change in the range with major renovations which will continue to the end of this year. Please look on the website, Facebook and at the range in the next coming 2 months as there will be a few range closures as works will need to be completed. The committee and all members wish to thank all those involved in the works, with special thankyou to Adam Struhs and Peter Flint for their many, many hours of labour. A big thankyou to the State Association for the funding to complete such a large renovation.
Please remember when travelling to and from the range to secure your firearms and ensure that you are in compliance with the weapons act. Secure your guns secure your sport.
Wishing everyone a wonderful end to 2018.
Trev Morgan – 0438 285858
FROM THE ADMIN DESK
• The Annual General Meeting was held, as usual, in August. Attendances were up and the
Committee thanks all those who made the effort to attend.
There were no changes to the Committee at the AGM. Trevor Morgan remains as President, Dominic Goldsworthy as Vice-president, Scott Lutter remains as Treasurer, Adam Struhs remains as competition co-ordinator. Graham Dempsey as Secretary.
SSAA National President, Geoff Jones, attended and addressed the meeting. He congratulated the Committee and members on the running and presentation of the Branch and facilities. Members were brought up to date on matters both on a National organizational level and on current matters involving State and Weapons Licensing Branch.
• Memberships are continuing to rise as the year progresses. Many members have neglected to renew their memberships by the due date, the Committee extended the date by 1 month but unfortunately, all those who failed to renew have been included in the annual report to Weapons Licensing Branch. Additionally a few members failed to meet their participation requirements and were included in the return.
• The Branch was represented at the recent SSAA Qld inc., AGM. As always, a copy of the agenda, all the Branch reports, the Presidents message, and of course the Treasurers and Auditors reports are available for any interested members to peruse here at the Branch. In summary; The State Executive committee was re- elected, largely unchanged. The only exception being the resignation of Michael Pommer with Trevor Morgan assuming the role of VP Training and RTO Manager. State finances are in a sound condition and for the most part, Branches are successful.
DATE CLAIMERS and MILLMERRAN
• Mark your calendars. Here is the date for the last weekend for 2018. October 19/20/21. The bunkhouse bed booking sheet is up on the wall at the Branch. Book your bed space early to avoid disappointment. Bookings for the “motel units” are also available. Book them asap closing October 5th.
• New Members can get any Millmerran info, maps etc from any of the Management Committee.
• No Action Match this trip. Woodchop challenge instead. Get your team ready and have a bit of practice.
• Arrival time for the Millmerran weekends has been moved forward to 12 noon. This will have the effect of being able to get extra shoot time in as soon as the Committee can arrange sufficient RO coverage.
• Branch Trophy night and BBQ. Saturday 1/12/18. Doors open from 5.00pm. BYO alcoholic beverages, all else (snacks, BBQ salads etc ) provided. Please let the Committee know your intended attending numbers when the notice goes onto the noticeboard.
• Branch closes Saturday 8/12/18 for the Christmas Break.
• Branch re-opens January 12,2019
FROM THE COMMITTEE DESK
• Jonathon May (Jono) is nearing the end of his Range Officer training and will receive his qualification at Millmerran this October. Please keep supporting and encouraging Jonathon as he continues his training until then.
• Groupon was reinstated at the start of September and to date, since relaunch, we have sold 84 packages. We are pleased it’s still proving to be popular and it’s a great source of income for the club. Again, a BIG THANK YOU to all Range Officers and Trainee Range Officer for putting in many hours to train and support our Groupon customers.
• New Rifles will be arriving shortly – Ruger American .22 and Lithgow .22 and both will be scoped. We are waiting the return of the 243 Lithgow that was recalled for a new barrel.
• At the last General Meeting, 18/09/2018, the members present unanimously voted for a new WEBSITE. We aim to have this up and running in the next month or so. We will keep you updated on our progress.
• Rimfire Shooters – please sweep up your brass from behind the firing line. Broom and pan are provided. At no time is anyone allowed forward of the firing line.
• Please refrain from purposely shooting the target clips. If you do use the clips as targets a replacement fee will be charged.
As the competition season enters its final 3 weeks, (YES 3 weeks) the back wall of Range 2 will be removed the weekend straight after Millmerran. Speaking of Millmerran, the final trip of the year will include our annual wood chop competition so get your team together. The competition will consist of 4 heats and 1 final (winner takes all).
Our guest RO will be Peter “Plough Boy“ Payne, who will officiate the proceedings on the 50m range on Sunday morning from 9am. The rest of the weekend will run as per usual. We only have the 200 range on Sunday so get your big calibres finished with on the 500 on Saturday.
As for next year, all competitions will be rewritten to incorporate the longer format so now is the time to either head to the Optometrist or fit a red dot sight because targets at 8m will be a thing of the past.
Members are reminded that the notice board on the website is updated “as things happen” and consequently will have information available much sooner than the quarterly hard copy
Any changes to scheduled meetings/events/competitions will be noted on the website and notice board so please check in regularly.
CLUB POLO SHIRTS
Mens and Womens Polo Shirts
Colours as per the sample…………..No alternatives.
• The SSAA embroidered logo
• Southport Branch
• Right side……Your Christian name only
Size charts available so no guesswork.
No kids sizes available yet.
Cost at the moment is $50.00 (with pocket $57.00) delivered TO THE BRANCH.
Embroiders lead time is 2-3 weeks
To order contact Graham Dempsey 0418 721 868